Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Getting the Clutter Out of the Way...

Day: 17
Time: 9:38 p.m.
Expected Word Count: 28,334
Current Word Count: 27,238

So, we've left the traitor behind, and no one has told Beata what happened to him, they are now out Phoenix and trying to throw the Megari off their track.  They've begun a different route that will take them to their next rendezvous point.  There, they'll have to decide whether to continue to travel with the loader (who hasn't given his name yet) or continue on their own.  For sure, Chapter 13 will have them ending up in Champaign, Illinois.

While I didn't hit my word count today, I still wrote enough to have done so.  I actually had an idea for a one-act play that's been building itself in my head for the last two weeks or so.  Finally, this morning, after my shower, I had the opening and the right path for the characters to take - so I had to at least outline it.  Being so deep in a long narrative arc like NaNoWriMo, it's easy to lose sight of the end of things.  Outlining this play gave me a chance to work out the whole picture/vision for a story in just a couple of hours.  I'm really excited about it.  It wasn't NaNoWriMo writing, but I'm anticipating having some time to write the next few days to make up for it. 

It's important to "de-clutter" ideas before settling in to write on a long-term project.  That's why I keep idea files.  I can always go back to them and add or subtract before writing the piece, and I don't forget anything. 

Write.  Write like the wind.

~Mrs. W.

No comments:

Post a Comment